Insurance for students abroad

Insurance for students abroad


  StudentsInsured will become Aon Student Insurance

Per July 2018, StudentsInsured will be part of Aon Student Insurances. As a result, the IPS insurance will no longer be available to new customers. Extending your IPS insurance will no longer be possible as well. You can now apply for the ICS insurance instead via Aon Student Insurance. 

The information below is only for customers with an existing IPS Insurance. For more information about this integration, please check out the Q&A.

During your stay abroad, it is very important that you, as a student, are well-insured against unexpected expenses.

The Insurance Passport for Students (IPS)

As a student, you don’t want to be spending a lot of time and effort looking for the right insurance for your time abroad. StudentsInsured has developed an insurance package that covers you for the most important expenses. The IPS combines coverage for:
  • Medical expenses; 
  • Extraordinary costs;
  • Legal Aid; 
  • Accidents; 
  • Liability and 
  • Luggage and household goods. 

You can also add a supplemental cover for winter and underwater sports. Read more about the coverage in the coverage overview.

Travel insurance: often insufficient

We often see that the travel insurance does not provide enough coverage for your studies abroad. One reason for this is that travel insurances often exclude studies abroad from their coverage. Another reason is that travel insurances are only valid for a maximum period of only 60, 90 or 180 days. This maximum period is often not long enough for you to finish your studies abroad.

In The Netherlands: Dutch Basic Health Insurance

When you come to study in the Netherlands, it is not likely that you will have to deal with the Dutch health care system. However, be aware that if you want to get a part time job alongside your studies this might change. In the Netherlands, every Dutch citizen is obligated to take out the mandatory Dutch basic health insurance. It is possible that, as a foreign student, you are also required to take out this insurance once you start working. You can read more about this on the government website of the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB). You can read more on the Dutch health care system here.