When you find a job

When you find a job abroad, there are a few important things you need to take care of. First of all, it is important that you find out whether you need to apply for any mandatory (public) insurances. You’ll also want to look at insurances that cover you for liability, household goods and your personal belongings. 

Mandatory insurances

Many countries have a public health insurance that is mandatory when you get paid by a company from that country. Besides health insurances, other insurances might also be required. For example, when you rent an apartment in France you need to be able to provide a document stating you have a specific house insurance, the so-called risque locatif. To learn more about the specific situation in your country of residence, you can call the helpdesk of the government or embassy. They can often help with these questions. 

In The Netherlands

If you find a job in the Netherlands, it is important to check whether you have to apply for a Dutch basic health insurance. This is likely when you get paid by a Dutch company. You can read more on the Dutch basic health insurance here. It’s important that you apply for this insurance on time, because you’ll get a fine when you’re too late with making the necessary arrangements. Here you can read more about the Dutch Basic Health Insurance. 

Other insurances

Besides any mandatory insurances, you might also want to look at some other insurances. If you are not required by law to take out a (public) health insurance, you probably want to have a private health insurance. On top of that you will probably want to have an insurance for liability, repatriation and/or household goods. Contact our consultants to learn about your duties and possibilities! 

Social schemes

Please note that if you currently fall under social security schemes from your home country, it is possible that you no longer do when you start working abroad. For example pension schemes, sickness benefits/health law (healthcare system) and unemployment benefits. It is also possible that you are obliged to participate in those schemes in your country of destination. 

Mostly you automatically participate by paying your taxes. You should consult a governmental institution if you want to know more about this. Your employer can also tell you more about your rights and duties.