Insurance for PhD candidates and scholars abroad


  StudentsInsured will become Aon Student Insurance

Per July 2018, StudentsInsured will be part of Aon Student Insurances. As a result, the IPS insurance will no longer be available to new customers. Extending your IPS insurance will no longer be possible as well. You can now apply for the ICS insurance instead via Aon Student Insurance. 

The information below is only for customers with an existing IPS Insurance. For more information about this integration, please check out the Q&A.

As a PhD candidate or scholar, it is common to go abroad. This could either be by own choice or as a mandatory part of your PhD/scholar course. When you go abroad, dealing with scholarships, financial matters and local legislation can be tedious. We can help you with your insurance needs and answer any questions you may have about insurances.

The Insurance Passport for Students (IPS)

As a PhD candidate or scholar you do not want to be spending too much time looking into different insurances, trying to find the right insurance for all your needs. This is why we developed one insurance package that covers you on all essential insurance categories you need when going abroad. The IPS combines coverage for: 1) medical expenses; 2) extraordinary costs; 3) legal aid; 4) accidents; 5) liability and 6) luggage and households goods;. All these coverages are combined in one complete package. In addition to this, you can choose to add more coverage for luggage and/or for winter and underwater sports. You can read more about the coverage in the coverage overview.

Dutch basic health insurance

If you are coming to the Netherlands, it is important that you are aware of the Dutch health care system. In the Netherlands, there is a relatively comprehensive social security system. Part of this system is the mandatory Dutch basic health insurance, or in Dutch: “basiszorgverzekering”. This insurance is obligated for every Dutch citizen, but it is possible that you, as a foreign PhD candidate or scholar, are also required to take out the Dutch basic health insurance. This is likely if you receive wages for your PhD activities from a Dutch university. You can read more about this on the government website of the Sociale Verzekeringsbank. You can read more on the Dutch health care system here.

Travel insurance: often insufficient

Generally, travel insurance often do not provide enough coverage for PhD candidates, Postdoctoral researchers and other academics. First of all, traveling with the purpose to study or do a research is mostly excluded from these policies’ coverage. Secondly, travel insurances often have a maximum period of 60, 90 or 180 days: this surpasses the time necessary for doing a PhD research abroad.